General Admission… an Indianapolis Motor Speedway tradition since 1909!
General Admission tickets are available for the Indianapolis 500 and the US Grand Prix. They provide admission to the grounds and the following viewing areas.
For the Indy 500, viewing mounds are available on the inside of the track in five distinct areas:
- On the front straight just south of turn four and north of Tower Terrace.
- In turn one just south of the Pit Road Suites and adjacent to First Turn Terrace.
- In turn two, also known as the “Family Viewing Mounds”.
- The entire backstretch.
- All the way through turn three. This area is developing a reputation as a party zone, which can be good or bad depending on your perspective.
For the US Grand Prix, the following viewing mounds and stands are available to general admission ticket holders:
- On the outside and exit of turn seven.
- On the outside of the course with views of turns eight, nine, and ten.
- On the inside of the course on the short straight between turns eleven and twelve.
- On the inside of turn thirteen.
- Tower Terrace (sections 39-77 only).
- South Terrace.
- First Turn Terrace (USGP turn thirteen).
Generally speaking, fans are allowed to bring blankets, lawn chairs, coolers, etc. to make themselves comfortable on the viewing mounds. For specific policy questions, it’s best to contact the Speedway directly.
In a 2004 story Indianapolis Star reporter Curt Cavin estimated that approximately 6,000 people watch the Indy 500 from the viewing mounds.
Catch the latest IndyCar Series buzz at indycarbuzz.com
View the list on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Seating Guide home page.
General Admission Photo Gallery
Photos submitted by fans. Help us build this resource by contributing your photos.
View Pop-up Slideshow (medium-sized photos)
View Slideshow at Flickr (large-sized photos, opens new window)
Gallery Navigation: Click a thumbnail to see a larger version. Click the “prev/next” links or use the < > (less than/greater than) keys to display different photos. Click the photo or the “close” link to return to the page. Some photos may be resized to fit your screen, which degrades quality. To view larger photos, etc. visit this gallery at Flickr.
There are 14 comments for “General Admission”. You may add a comment or trackback from your own site.